Lead of Environmental Commodities Strategies and Operations
Sol Systems is seeking an Environmental Commodities Strategy & Operations Lead to help manage and grow Sol’s portfolio of SRECs, RECs, LCFS, and other commodities. This is an ideal position for an experienced manager with a proven track record in shaping expansion strategies and building partnerships in environmental commodity markets as well as a high-level understanding of the operational mechanics of trading platforms. This position will be at a Director, Senior Director, or VP level based on the candidate’s experience level.
Sol Systems is a solar energy project development and financial services company with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base. It has financed or developed over $2 billion of solar energy assets to date. As a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator, Sol empowers entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure.
Over the last decade the company has evolved its environmental commodity desk to build a leading solar development company serving Amazon, Walmart and a number of the Fortune 500 companies, and one of the largest solar infrastructure funds in the country.
Sol’s Environmental Commodities division is the oldest division at Sol, founded in 2008. The team is an innovative market maker having helped open several state markets and developing solutions to make environmental commodity market participation accessible to all – whether they generate a few credits each year or hundreds of thousands of credits each year. In addition, Sol has pioneered long-term strips and upfront contracts for several commodities to help market participants hedge against market volatility. Sol was the first company to offer long-term strips and upfronts for SRECs across PJM and NEPOOL. In addition, the Environmental Commodities team has also raised capital with institutional and individual investors to build out solar projects with optimized environmental credit investing. The Environmental Commodities team now manages one of the largest portfolios in the country serving over 17,000 customers via 200+ exclusive partnerships and 400+ MWs of capacity.
- Work with senior leadership to build out and manage a 7 member team focused on strategy, business development, and operations in environmental commodity markets
- Lead market expansion into new products, services, and geographic areas
- Develop channel partnerships with solar installers, solar / wind developers, EV charging and fleet network operators, other environmental commodity market participants
- Manage and maintain several existing key client relationships
- Build pro-active outreach strategies to our customers and partners to keep them engaged and up to date on Sol’s offerings and market happenings
- Represent Sol at industry events
- Work with Marketing to create new collateral and marketing materials including thought leadership pieces
- Work with IT to build out new technology solutions to better serve our partners and customers as well as internal teams
- Work with Legal to ensure contracts and compliance needs are being met at the highest standard
- Manage, train and mentor junior staff
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- 7+ years of experience in environmental commodity markets; particularly, SRECs, RECs, or LCFS
- Business development, sales, and operations experience within environmental commodity markets (trading experience a plus but not required)
- Strong understanding of solar and energy markets
- Experience managing and coaching team members
- Experience originating new partnerships and leading sales
- Ability to communicate and understand trading or aggregation strategies to an investment committee and risk groups
- Understanding of environmental commodity financial products (ex. spot transactions, long-term contracts, upfronts, etc)
- Drive, flexibility, and demonstrated ability to work at and build up a small but growing business
- Strong interest to make an impact in the clean energy industry
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Creative problem solver
- Hungry to build something that you will own
Location & Hours: This is a full-time role and will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Commitment & Compensation: This position will be at a director, senior director, or VP level based on candidate experience and compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for this position immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.